Walk this way...
Step right up.
Making it really easy for those who want to be involved, there's nothing onerous or underhand (and with this note it's now entirely transparent) with my selection process… it progresses through a series of points at which, depending on the action of myself or the other person, the interest of one-or-both of us naturally diminishes and ends.
Using find-a-freelancer sites, rather than simply wanting 'hired hands looking for more work' I favor those who can see the longer-term potential and respond accordingly.
Of course I recognise that most people active on such sites are, quite rightly, often just looking for their next short-term gig. It's the relative few who aren't though, and with whom there might be a potential good fit, in whom I'm interested.
With a remit of 'make me redundant', in follow-up contact my guidance is:
- Don't accept the brief as given.
- Do act as if you own the place.
- Assume you have absolute authority.
- It's sometimes better to seek forgiveness than ask permission.
I sometimes find it tough to say 'no', and so where able try to 'give almost anyone a chance'.
As part of that 'making it really easy' thing… I do something, or suggest a relatively simple action, as a step toward further involvement.
Although it could be seen as such (and maybe it really is) I don't consider it a test, but a 'lets see if we can join the dots here, in a mutually beneficial way'.
Anyway, those points…
- Show me. Working together.
- Us and them. 'Time is limited, don't waste it.'
- The search for Spock. The co-founder thing.
- Participants. People to do stuff.
- Join together? A failed experiment in team-building.
- Wouldn't it be nice... What is and what should never be?
- Fishbowl => ocean. Not a sea cruise.
- Walk this way... Step right up.
- Quixote and Panza. 'How many to design/build/change a lightbulb?'
- Two. Together.
- Gazillion-watt light bulb? I can see clearly now.
- Dem bones. The hip-bit is connected to… something-or-other.
- Bizrunners. Do it for me?
- Who. And how. People to do stuff.
- Structure. The shape of things, and how it all hangs together.
- Trade. Mutual benefit.
- Searchin' low and high? 'Looked under chairs, looked under tables.' (No, not really.)
- Second verse, same as the first. 'You think I'd have learned by now.'
- Help! A-major, b-flat, f-sharp, etcetera. (Idiotically-obscure reference to well-known Beatles song.)
- SNAFU. Where do we go from here?